Law Officer Connect

Police and Law Enforcement Network

A brief history of why I push the Below 100 initiative and what it is about. We here at the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, as well as other agencies, have had more than our share of fleet collisions. Based on our investigations over the past years we have seen our Deputies get involved in numerous one car crashes. As we all know a one car crashes normally mean excessive speed. We have also had a few crashes that were at higher speeds. These crashes may have resulted in hitting a fixed object off the roadway or another vehicle in intersections. On more than one occasion I learned through my investigations that the Deputy was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash. This was alarming and prompted me to do some research. Luckily I didn’t have to look far because Captain Travis Yates had already compiled the following:

For 13 years straight more police officers have died on our roadways than as a result of firearms. 2011 was the first year we may see that change, but not by much. As of this email we sit at 101 Officers Killed in 2012, 36 by gunfire and 45 that are vehicle related.

“NHTSA tell us that since 2000, 42 percent of the officers killed behind the wheel were not wearing seatbelts. Since 1999, we have seen 43 percent of those officers killed in single-vehicle collisions, which indicated that many of them may have been related to excessive speed. NHTSA reports the seatbelt usage amongst civilians has climbed, as a result of our enforcement, to almost 90 percent and despite the continued issue of law enforcement fatalities behind the wheel, traffic fatalities to citizens are at their lowest levels since 1949. Why is law enforcement not seeing similar trends? What makes us different?” -Captain Travis Yates Tulsa PD

The number one excuse I hear for not wearing a seat belt from officers is, “What if I am ambushed and need to get out of my unit quickly? I don’t want to get my gear to get caught up in the seatbelt.” My reply is normally, “When was the last time a Police Officer was ambushed at 60+ mph?” Answer: It hasn’t happened.

The goal of the Below 100 initiative is to reduce officer related deaths every year to below 100. Theory being if you solve the issues we can control like; 1. Always wear your seatbelt 2. Always wear your body armor 3. Watch your speed 4. Think W.I.N. (What is Important Now?) 5. Remember complacency kills, we can reduce this number to below 100 for the first time since 1944. You can find this information from the websites I listed below. I go to these site daily. They are full of good information.

My agency is right on the national trend: unsecured drivers, involved in high speed, one car crashes with stationary objects or intersection style crashes. By the Grace of God we have been lucky enough to not see the officer related fatalities the nation is seeing. But I stress lucky because we have had a few where I expected to see a fatality when I rolled up to the scene and saw the cars. Remember though, “If it can be predicted, it can be prevented.”

I recently went through the Below 100 Train the Trainer class and will be offering the 4hr class of instruction. I felt so strong about this training I went to Mississippi to be certified to bring it back to my agency. This is great training because it is a chance to bring a driving and mindset course to your agency for free, thus reducing your agency’s liability in a time tires and break may be too expessive for hands on driving. I am available and willing to set up training at my agency or at whatever local  agency contacts me seeking training. I will come to you.

On January 30th 2013 I will be co-teaching a Train the Trainer class with Captain Travis Yates at the Wilco Lott Training Center. The class is free. Come check out a class in November or December; see if you want to become an Instructor. This is by far one of the most rewarding classes I have taught in my 18 year career.

www.odmp.org

www.below100.com

www.policedriving.com

Below 100 schedule:

All of these classes will be at held at the Lott Training Center.

107 Holly St. Georgetown, Texas

No cost!

4 hours TCLEOSE credit for Licensed Peace Officers.

November 05th, 2012     13:00 to 17:00 FULL

November 13th, 2012     08:00 to 12:00 FULL

November 20th, 2012      08:00 to 12:00 FULL

November 26th, 2012      13:00 to 17:00

December 3rd, 2012        08:00 to 12:00

December 4th, 2012       08:00 to 12:00

December 5th, 2012       15:00 to 19:00

Train the Trainer Class

January 30th, 2013

Come see why this class is getting such outstanding reviews!!!!!!

Feel free to contact me with any questions at cgripentrog@wilco.org

Views: 181

Attachments:

© 2018   Created by Law Officer WebTeam.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service